A group of ten men gathered on May 16, 1923 to discuss forming an affiliated Lawn Bowling Club. Judge Winter was elected President and offered the east side of his lawn as a green, the location of which was near the old Holy Cross Hospital.
In 1927 negotiations were made with the City for a new location and a site on 16th avenue S.W. was allocated. The new facility was officially opened on Labour Day, September 2nd 1929.
At the new venue the club thrived and by 1932 there were 125 members. Around this time, and for many years later, R.H. Williams, M Cunningham, and Prime Minister R.B. Bennett sponsored club trophies. During the 1932 year, the club had grown sufficiently to warrant building a second green, and a short time later added floodlights and improved ditches. Around 1936 a new green cost around $400.
The Provincial Association was formed in 1929 and the first Provincial Tournament was held in Edmonton in 1931. Also during the 1930’s interclub competitions were held and the Calgary District Association was organized in 1936. By 1937 the fees were $15 annual dues, and $5 to join, and at that time it was noted that more attention needed to be paid to encouraging more people to play the game, assuming they passed the entrance interview process! Calgary hosted its first City Tournament on August 5 through 10, 1939, and its first Provincial Tournament in 1941.
The Men’s and Ladies’ sections of the club have occupied the same premises since 1949. In 1969 it was recommended that the two sections be amalgamated, but the idea was rejected, as not being consistent with the club’s original constitution. However, subsequently that was amended and the two clubs were formally amalgamated. In 1982 the clubhouse was remodeled, as many members contributed funds and spent numerous hours of hard work, which was greatly appreciated by all. The clubhouse and greens were re-located into the community of Spruce Cliff in 2016.
Over the years, we have had many members play in the Canadian Championships and recently in the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia. We have also had a history of holding annual Canada Day tournaments at which a piper used to lead the bowlers around the green before play commenced. This was usually a fun morning of skill games followed by lunch, the singing of “O Canada”, and the Canada Day Trophy competition in the afternoon. In addition, we have hosted many visiting teams from the U.K. and these were always very special “friendly” events.